Ferruccio Lamborghini started building tractors in Italy in the late 1940s. Initially, the tractors were built using a mixture of surplus military hardware from World War Two. By 1954, Lamborghini was building its own engines. Also, the company had expanded manufacturing into other areas, notably, high performance sports cars. In the late 1960s Ferrucio became disinterested in tractors, and the firm was formally acquired by SAME in 1971. The Lamborghini name is still used on tractors today, as part of the SAME Deutz-Fahr Group.